Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Story.


Bits of my story. 


Foundation. I grew up in a wonderful family of Christ-followers. My parents raised my brothers, sister, and I along the narrow road of life. I heard continually of Jesus and his love for the world and for me personally. We'd often have missionaries share stories at our church and occasionally they'd stay in our home. I always loved hearing about the nations. 

Exposure. My first trip overseas was to Lima, Peru in 2005. I was 14 years old and went with a small group of people from Appleton Alliance church. The introduction to poverty was powerful. I was able to meet my sponsor child, Haydee, who I continue sponsor through Compassion International. Below is a picture of her family standing in front of their home. 


Calling. Summer of 2007. I was changed for good at LIFE 2007, an international missions conference for youth in CM&A churches. It was there where I sensed God calling me to full-time missions. I also learned about Burkina Faso, West Africa. I gave a bag full of my belongings to be shipped to Burkina in a large shipping crate. Exactly one year later, I saw the place my belongings were taken to. Below is a picture of me in Burkina Faso, West Africa in 2008. I fell in love with the Burkinabe people and culture and ways of life. 


College. I attended Northwestern College in St. Paul, MN and majored in Intercultural Studies with a minor in Bible. Every ounce of my three years at NWC was blessed. The growth I experienced in understanding the Gospel was exponential. God graced me with deep friendships, Christ-centered mentorship, cross-cultural ministry opportunities, and clearer self-understanding. 


Internship. My ICS degree required an overseas internship. I spent 5 weeks in Delhi, India with the college discipleship ministry through my church called Campus Outreach. While the majority of our time was spent in relational ministry on St. Stephen's College campus, we also had 5 days of hands-on service with CURE International. CURE helps children who have clubfoot. Seeing the interior of hospitals and healthcare in India was eye-opening and life-changing.


Public Health. Healthcare, especially preventative medicine, nutrition, and public health education, has been an interest of mine for quite some time. I'm not exactly sure how my passion for good health and restorative development will play out in the years to come, but I am definitely hoping and praying that my year in Cote d'Ivoire will bring clarity and direction in this area.


Unreached. I want to go to the unreached and unengaged of the world, where worship of Jesus is lacking. Learn more about the countries of the world in the 10/40 window through the Joshua Project, where there are the most unreached people groups in the world.

Restoration. Throughout college I built relationships with women who have been involved in the vicious cycle of prostitution. One woman in particular was especially close to me and my heart. God graciously allowed me to see Nicole's heart of stone turn to a heart of flesh. She went from a proud atheist to a humble Christ-follower in a year's time. What beauty flows from ashes, with Christ alone.


Commencement. God has been equipping and preparing me for cross-cultural ministry from the time I was quite young. He continues to prepare me day-by-day. His grace is sufficient for the tasks He is calling me to. College graduation was a significant milestone. In many ways it feels like the beginning of a new journey, when I will finally be able to reside, serve, work, and learn among the people of Cote d'Ivoire. 


World Venture & Journey Corps. Towards the end of college I learned about World Venture, an incredible missions organization that sends over 500 missionaries to 70+ countries in the world. It's a solid, well-known, Christ-centered organization that I am excited to be sent through. The particular program that I am doing through World Venture is called Journey Corps. Geared toward young adults, Journey Corps is all about the Good News of Jesus. It is an incarnational, organic ministry that partners with the local churches of Cote d'Ivoire, learns from nationals, and meets the needs that already exist.






No comments:

Post a Comment