Saturday, February 23, 2013

Learning to Walk in Freedom


God brought me on a journey through the book of Galatians when I was with my family. One of the major themes of the book is freedom in Christ. I’ve been asking myself, what does it mean to be free? When I am not free (or feeling free), what inhibits it? Though there are so many lovely things about living with a family, I also struggle on a daily basis to walk in freedom and trust in Jesus moment by moment. Sometimes the physical discomfort of sharing a hot, disordered, dusty room with five other girls overwhelms me. Other times the food bothers me, especially when it’s the same thing again and again. And, on a daily basis, I seem to fight guilt of sitting and resting when everyone else seems to be working.

Galatians 5:1 says, “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.” Why, I ask myself, do I submit myself to a yoke of slavery again and again? My yokes of slavery include complaints, discontentment, and people-pleasing. These things steal my joy in God and block freedom.

What does it mean to be free? Freedom comes through Jesus and him alone. The Holy Spirit does a work in us that helps us believe in the Gospel and then walk in freedom. Freedom comes when I see my sin – my complaints, grumblings, selfishness, fear of man – and lay them down at the cross in repentance. When I realize that God loves me so much that He died for me, freedom floods in. “But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoptions as sons.” Galatians 4:4

It is easier said than done to walk in the freedom that Jesus has made available to us through his death and resurrection. In this life on earth we’re in a constant battle against our sinful, weak flesh. Paul says, “walk in the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.” Galatians 5:16-17

I recently read that the main work of a Christian is to believe the Gospel. That, I believe, is what it means to walk in the Spirit. The Spirit helps us to believe the Gospel, rest in God’s work, and walk in freedom. When I’m in my family and battling guilt, I have to remember that guilt is not from God. My acceptance comes from God and not from people around me. God’s acceptance of me is permanent. Or, when I’m battling discontentment and wanting to complain, I have to ask God for help in believing that He has met my deepest need of all – reconciliation with Him – so I’m free to serve my family by living as they live.

It’s not simple to walk in freedom. But God is pleased when, in our failures, we trust in Him. “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.” Galatians 1:3-5

1 comment: