Saturday, November 10, 2012

Neem: The Toothbrush Tree


This morning the team and I did a little trekking. We marched through tall grasses, sloshed through soggy rice fields, crossed a stream on a creaky footbridge, and rested in the shade of a mango tree. Rod took us on this hike through the bush to give us a lesson in West African trees and birds. There’s no better classroom for this kind of lesson than outside, making the topic tangible. 

I just want to say one thing: God’s creation is phenomenal. He is Artists of artists, Scientists of scientists, and Gardener of gardeners. There are unbelievable properties to many different plants and trees around here, and Ivorians have clearly tapped into these resources. I know that I’ve barely scratched the surface in learning about how different trees are used here. But, what I know already excites the nature-loving, natural-remedy-providing side of me. 

The Neem tree is used for teeth cleaning; just cut off a little twig and chew on it for a bit. (I checked and there’s actually neem in my natural toothpaste! It’s good stuff.) There are countless mango, coconut, avocado, citrus, and cashew trees around here too. They’re growing everywhere – but most of them flourish during the dry season. (I can hardly wait!) The Baobab tree is a symbol of Africa. It is one of the hardiest, most resilient trees around here. Hack away at it and it’ll survive, heal, and keep growing. There are numerous palm trees as well. One of my favorite sauces to eat with rice is made with fresh-pressed palm oil. Many other leaves, roots, and barks are harvested for cooking. The Moringa tree has leaves that are dried out then crushed up into a powder, taken for it’s herbal and medicinal properties. 

Knowing the plants and trees is important for life here in Cote d’Ivoire. My learning has just begun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment